- Trip to Ohio/ Shooting a 12 gage shotgun.
The trip to Ohio for Kevin’s brother’s wedding was just what I needed, though tough to explain to people here.
“Oh, you’re going on vacation, where are you going?”
“Ohio”
“Oh..........why?” (with a very confused look on their face)
No one could quite grasp why a girl from Colorado would leave the city to go to the midwest….and they have a point. But I was at a point where I needed to get out of the city and away from my community. Spending time in Ohio and meeting the important people in Kevin’s life there helped give me a whole different understanding of him as a person.
When I returned and people asked what I did in Ohio my quick response was, “Rode four wheelers and shot shit.” I had a legitimately redneck southern Ohio time, that’s what I did. Before this experience with a shotgun in the backwoods of southern Ohio I had never even held a gun, let alone shot one. Honestly, I was terrified. And afterwards, I did not feel powerful or accomplished, but I did feel the same way I feel anytime after doing something that I was scared to do. Capable. I felt capable. And for me, that is one of the best feelings I know. I don’t feel the need to shoot again any time soon, but for the sake of stepping out of my comfort zone--it was worth it.
After leaving Cincinnati, Kevin and I drove to Philadelphia where we were spending the night at his friend Erin’s. He left early the next morning to head to Boston for the Red Sox-Yankees game, but I had the whole day in the city to myself before taking the bus back to NYC that evening. From this experience, I learned one thing- I think every vacation should end with a day by myself when I can re-coup and prepare to get back to “real life.” I had never been to Philly before and walking around the city, visiting pieces of our nation’s history, catching up with my mom and eating a cheesesteak made for a perfect day.
- Discernment retreat with Julie
Like I said, I do everything I can these days to avoid reflection and introspection. Of course, Julie knew the questions to ask and helped to force me to take a few looks back at this GSV experience and look forward to whatever it is that will be next. I'm pretty lucky to have her.
- Night at the Beer Garden
Need I say more? Julie, Kevin, Kate and a bunch of friends from the city. Drinking Czech beer, playing Loaded Questions. The Beer Garden did not disappoint. Never does.
5. Standing in line at the TKTS Booth/ Seeing Avenue Q
Unwilling to pay the $121 for a Broadway show? Willing to stand in line for cheap(er) tickets? Stand in line at the TKTS booth in Times Square….
It was raining. We were wet. And honestly, this was one of my favorite things that we did while Kevin was here. I cant explain it. I’m odd. I loved it.
But I am not totally crazy, even more than the standing in line in the rain, seeing Avenue Q was everything that I hoped, and more. The show is impossible to explain. Puppets. Raunchy humor. Foul language. Political poignancy. Fantastic songs. And oddly representative of my life as a recent college graduate here in the city. As Hannah said, "Before seeing it I thought it was making fun of political correctness, now I know....its actually making fun of people like us."
No comments:
Post a Comment